CDOT/City of Atlanta Case Study. In the Spring of 2018, the Colorado Department of Transportation and City of Atlanta were victims of a sophisticated malware/ransomware attack that crippled key operational systems. This case study focuses on how the attacks occurred, what lessons learned can be leveraged from these attacks, and discover how each government office's approach and response to the attack impacted the near and long-term effects of the malware incident. Using the NIST framework the aspects of identify, protect, detect respond and recover will be outlined throughout the incident.
After completion of this module, participants will be able to:
· Recognize NIST and NICE cybersecurity efforts
· List the NIST framework Function areas applicable to this case
· Recall the NICE Workforce Categories applicable to this case
· Describe the key (features?) of a malware/ransomware attack.
· Identify at least (2) Cybersecurity strategies or approaches that could be used in their current administrations/offices.